Heart Hill


Heart Hill, originally uploaded by alison lyons photography.

Heart Hill

These lyrics come to mind when I drive pass this hill. The song is by Kristina Olsen. You can hear it sung here by someone other than Kristina... not a particularly good recording... but it was all I could find.

Speeding down the motorway in the north of England
I catch a glimpse of a lovers mark
a forest of trees in the shape of a heart.
I heard an R A F went down
in his plane a flame on the hillside
not far from his fiancee
In her grief she planted seedlings on that naked hill
you can see it still.

There’s a heart up on the hill
there’s a heart up on the hill
If I left now would you
mourn me still.

When I drive my thoughts are clear
And I think of you
We avoid conversation so perfectly
The pilot in the plane what if that were me
It’s easier to love one gone
To love an absent partner
No shattered words no cleaning up after
But the heat that’s in your body it’s worth fighting for
It’s enough to stop a war.


A silhouette heart made of trees
That love was meant to be
Deep green against the yellow grass
This love was meant to last.

There’s no such thing as perfect love
But I’ve seen perfect sorrow
And I’ve seen the strength of a woman’s hand
Half a century ago she made her mark on this land
Now what about us, do you think
Our love will fade in time?
Or can we change that age old paradigm
Unlike this English couple we are both alive
We have the chance to try.

Heart Hill
words and music by
Kristina Olsen.