Alison Chalmers


Alison Chalmers, originally uploaded by alison lyons photography.


I think I was about 4 when this photo was taken. It was taken in Gosford, NSW so I know I was at least three, because we came to Australia when I was three. The little boy's name is Mark Walpole. We used to visit his family sometimes... and stay with them for a weekend. I can still remember the drive up there along the old Pacific Highway, looking out for waterfalls on the serpentine bends and spotting familiar landmarks on the journey there. On the Northern outskirts of Sydney there was a house with an Aboriginal figurine in the front garden and another with a big white wooden cartwheel we would pass on the way.

I don't know who the "Walpoles" were, or why they were connected to my family in any way. I know my dad, and their dad and my brothers all used to go off sailing together. And presumably our mothers hung out together too. I don't remember particularly liking Mark. Although the photo speaks differently. I think we were just thrown together as playmates. All the other kids, including my brothers were a whole lot older than us. And Mark I think was a year older than me too.

One weekend stands out strongly in my mind, because it was Easter and their family organised an Easter Egg hunt, which I thought was very magical and exotic at the time. For years afterwards I tried to convince my mother to do the same, but I can't remember her every complying.

My mother made all of my clothes in those days, and I remember wearing this one, it was one of my favourites. I think she was glad to have a little girl to dress up after having two boys.

So what can we conclude from this picture...

• We'll here's proof that I am a natural blonde.

• I obviously liked cuddling boys from a very early age.

• I was (and still am) a cheeky girl.

• And clearly there was a time when I had good legs and could wear short shirts.