Life is like a bowl of onions

I'd only had a handful of roasted almonds for breakfast... well, half a handful actually as I felt compelled to share them with Stan, in the car, during our two and quarter hour drive across Sydney in the rain this morning. Sydney peak hour traffic at its finest, rain drenched and stressful. And not a coffee in sight! I had thought the almonds would stave off the hunger until at least we had a coffee or some morning tea.

At one point, gridlocked in traffic, we really didn't think we'd make it on time for the meeting with our client, but as it turned out, we were the first ones to arrive. I flicked on the lights in their boardroom like I owned it and settled in, wondering why we hadn't made the extra effort to at least pick up a coffee on the way, or indeed, eat breakfast before we left.

It was after 1pm when we left the meeting, dehydrated and famished (and I don't mind admitting, a little ratty).

At a little restaurant called Salt Pepper Nutmeg in Roseville I did the unthinkable and actually ordered and drank my coffee before I ordered my meal. Caffeine withdrawal had clenched my head in its vice-like grip and wasn't letting go. Lunch was a big bowl of Pappardelle served with a blue cheese and broccoli sauce. Honestly I could have eaten the table leg by that time. And while we waited for our food to arrive we amused ourselves by photographing this wonderful bowl of garlic and onions, that was the centrepiece of our table. And for a brief period of time, I nearly forgot I was hungry!